Bodley (1827-1907) in 1859, was built 1858-61. It cost £6,728, and was
paid for by two Miss Windles.
The church was founded by Rev. Charles Beanlands, who had been assistant priest
to A.D. Wagner at St Paul's.
The original chancel ceiling was painted by Wm. Morris and Philip Webb.
Some stained glass in the Bodley section was made by Morris and Co to designs
by E. Burne Jones, Ford Madox Brown and Dante Gabriel Rossetti. Also
glass by Clayton and Bell.
Reredos from Antwerp, c.1500, restored by C.E.Kempe.
The current nave was designed in 1865 by William Burges (1827-81), and carried
out in 1892 after Burges's death by J.S. Chapple.
Foliage capitals carved by T. Nicholls.
Sanctuary decoration by Romayne-Walker, 1914.
Glass in the Burges section, variously by Lonsdale, Kempe and Jones and Willis.
The church is in St Michael's Place, Brighton, BN1 3FU.
For index of other churches in this location or by this architect see
posts 101 and 102, June 2013.
Click to enlarge the photos.
Drawing of the Bodley church.
Nave by William Burges.
Aisle (original nave by Bodley)