Designed in 1874 by James Brookes (1825-1901).
Owing to difficulties with the foundations of the new church, the clients became
worried at the unforeseen expense, and he was dismissed as architect.
The work was continued by J. T. Micklewaite
and G. Somers Clarke, who
completed the church closely to Brooks’
original design, but with cost-cutting
measures. Some of
Brooks's design features, such as the carving of the stone
capitals in the nave, the tower with steeple and a carved stone reredos
The church is in Lavender Hill, Battersea, the A3036, SW11 5TU, midway between Battersea Park and Clapham Common. Present parish pries is Father Iain Clavering Young.
Some photos by RT April 2014, others from internet sources, gratefully
acknowledged. Any copyright material removed on request.
For other churches in this location or by this architect see posts 100
and 101, June 2013.
Click on photos to enlarge.